[Ads-l] Prepositioning

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 25 15:51:24 UTC 2015

 From Barbara Partee (on FB and LanguageLog):

Linguist reads the paper: First sentence in Friedman's column begins
"Let’s see, America is prepositioning battle tanks …" and before I got
to the battle tanks I was surprised and wondering how 'preposition'
could be used as a verb and what it could mean. (I'm of course seeing
the word that starts with 'prep', had to be garden-pathed before I
backtracked and saw the verb pre-position.)

I won't be surprised if readers of this blog had a similar first parse
of my header –  its occurrence in this blog will probably make that
even more likely.

Thoughts?