[Ads-l] Twerk the night away

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 26 12:36:53 UTC 2015

Somehow this went to Margaret alone, but it was intended for all:

> It may well be that the OED was misinformed by outside experts (or
perhaps "experts") about the alleged West African origin of twerking.

If twerking had been common in America in the distant past, somebody would
have noticed. Perhaps the move came to the U.S. relatively recently, say
within the past twenty-five or thirty years. It certainly could have come
from West Africa. Or the Caribbean. Or from anywhere, for that matter.

Or it could well be home-grown.  Why not?

If the twerking "experts" are wrong, they need to wise up and school the
lexicographers.

At least OED proves that Miley Cyrus was not the first twerker. And that
seems to have been the point of the news story, which is essentially a puff
piece for the dictionary: you'll have noticed the otherwise gratruitous
mention of "twitterati" and "e-cigarette."

JL