[Ads-l] Twerk the night away

Z Rice zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 26 12:52:10 UTC 2015

"So your beef is with linguistically uninstructed reporters, not
lexicographers."

My issue is with "all" of the institutions (and those who serve them) who
work tirelessly to make a specific group of people appear as if they are
subhuman, a people without a history or collective culture of their own.
Lexicographers certainly fall into that category, along with the reporters
you mention. It is an *institutionalized* form of dehumanization and
cultural castration that has had a profound effect on how that specific
group of people is treated in the United States.

"If twerking had been common in America in the distant past, somebody would
have noticed. Perhaps the move came to the U.S. relatively recently, say
within the past twenty-five or thirty years. It certainly could have come
from West Africa. Or the Caribbean. Or from anywhere, for that matter.
Or it could well be home-grown.  Why not?"

THIS is why I have a problem with this sort of "scholarship". Inevitably,
so-called "scholars" assume that if they witness something of African
origin among African-Americans, and it wasn't witnessed (by them) before,
then it must have a magical negro origin - usually a mystical african or
"west indian" creation myth is then supposed. What would lead you to
believe that a group so vast and so insulated/isolated as the native
African-American population would be so simple, so devoid of complexity, so
obvious - that you would know everything about them (even their more
intimate dance practices)?? You do not. "Scholars" find out about this
group when something ends up on their television screen, on an album, or in
a book.

It is presumptuous and arrogant to assume that you know everything about
them already; that everything about them has been "documented" before.