[Ads-l] Antedating of "Beat Generation"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 26 16:07:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:45 AM, William Salmon wrote:

> Speaking of antedating, I think Teddy Wayne antedates the word 'yuppie' by
> four years in this New York Times piece of May 8, 2015.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/fashion/tell-tale-signs-of-the-modern-day-yuppie.html
>
> The earliest OED citation is 1984, but Wayne mentions this 1980 citation
> from author Dan Rottenberg in Chicago magazine:
>
> http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-1980/Yuppie/

Fred shared that antedating with us in Dec. '08, and it was
subsequently confirmed on paper by Grant Barrett.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2008-December/086594.html

The OED hasn't gotten around to updating the entry. Here's more on the
Rottenberg piece -- he doesn't claim to have coined the word:

http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/June-2015/Yuppie-Dan-Rottenberg/

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer