[Ads-l] "snow-blowed" [was: "were pick'n up"]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 2 02:08:21 UTC 2015

At 3/1/2015 08:16 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>"The sidewalk was snow-blown by my neighbor."  But as noted below,
>chaque mot a son histoire; "the sidewalk was snow-blowed" is *really* weird.

Interesting.  Leaving out "by my neighbor" from the utterance, I
would take "The sidewalk was snow-blown" as meaning by Mother Nature
(whom the neonate governor of Massachusetts recently called "a big
powerful lady").  And "The sidewalk was snow-blowed" as meaning by a
snow-blower (of lesser power).

Joel