[Ads-l] "the trots (a British colloquialism for diarrhea)"

Wed Mar 18 13:48:55 UTC 2015

The OED has an entry for the phrase "the trots" with the relevant
sense. The first cite is in 1808 in England (I think). Further below
are two instances in the U.S. The first appeared in an 1868 diary
published in 2014 and the second in a 1901 journal.

[Begin excerpt]
trot, noun
1. e. the trots ( trot), diarrhoea; also fig. colloq. Cf. run n.2 11.

1808   E. Weeton Let. 10 June in Jrnl. of Governess (1969) I. 94,   I
should perhaps be running over to Mr. Ridyard's so very often, that
ten to one my brother would be..asking what was the matter with me
that I was so often hastily taken; saying he was sure I was ill of the
trot.

1904 in P. Fleming Bayonets to Lhasa (1961) xv. 205   He suffers
continually from the trots (diarrhoea) which have completely shattered
his nerves.
[End excerpt]

The Google Books database contains a book published in 2014 that
claims to be a diary of a cowboy in Kansas in 1868.The date of diary
entry containing the phrase "the trots" is not visible in the preview.
The date on the next diary entry was Wednesday, September 2, 1868.

Year: 2014
Title: A Texas Cowboy's Journal: Up the Trail to Kansas in 1868