[Ads-l] Anecdote: Your bald head feels as smooth as my wife's cheek

Sun Mar 29 06:20:39 UTC 2015

"Respectfully Quoted" by Suzy Platt, "Cassell's Humorous Quotations"
by Nigel Rees, "Nice Guys Finish Seventh" by Ralph Keyes, and "The
Yale Book of Quotations" by Fred R. Shapiro all list a popular
anecdote featuring a bald man delivering a comical riposte.

The earliest citations in these references are dated 1975 and 1976.
The punchline was attributed to Speaker of the House Nicholas
Longworth in 1975 and playwright Marc Connelly in 1976.

The Quote Investigator website reports some progress researching this
anecdote. The new entry presents citations beginning in 1924.

Your Bald Head Feels as Smooth as My Wife's Cheek
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/03/28/cheek/

Citations before 1924 and other interesting feedback would be welcome,
Garson