[Ads-l] siftless

Mon Mar 30 11:50:38 UTC 2015

GB and WorldCat provide evidence of a 1960 book with "sympathy" placed
between "sin" and "syphilis" in the dictionary.

Year: 1961 (1960 copyright)
Title: Closer to the Sun
Author: George Henry Johnston
Quote Page 154
Published by Morrow, New York (WorldCat lists 1960 Collins, London edition)
Database: Google Books snippet view; data may be inaccurate

[Begin extracted text]
He sounded almost hysterical. "If I want sympathy, brother," he said
in a lower voice, "I can find it where I've always found it - in the
dictionary, between 'sin' and 'syphilis'!"
[End extracted text]

Garson