[Ads-l] Query about the origin of a meme

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 1 23:59:16 UTC 2015

...namely, "...said no one ever" (or variants, e.g. "...said nobody ever").  It strikes me as similar to at least one use of the 90s-ism (yes, as Jon and Jesse showed us, it's really an *18*90s-ism) "Not!", or "retro-NOT" as I like to call it.  Here's urbandictionary's entry:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=said+no+one+ever

I first noticed it on SNL's Weekend Update, possibly from Cecily Strong, but no doubt (like "...NOT", which wasn't invented on SNL. either by Wayne's World in the early 90s or by Steve Martin in the 1978 Nerds Science Fair routine) it was already lurking, maybe in the twitter sphere.

LH