[Ads-l] "come-a-long", engineer's jargon (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon May 4 17:11:19 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I don't think of it particularly as "engineering jargon" (I'm an engineer by trade); just the name of the tool.  I see them more commonly with steel cables than chains, although not exclusively.

There are (at least) two different tools which are called come alongs.

1.  One is an winch with an eye for attaching one cable, and wrapped around the winch is another relatively short piece of cable with an eye at the working end.  The winch is ratcheted and pulls the working end so that the two eyes get closer and closer together.

   http://www.americantrails.org/i/tools/comealong.jpg

This one is more common, and can be bought at Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc.

2.  Another is simply a gripping/clamping device, which is attached externally to a cable. When tension is applied, the grip gets tighter and tighter.  It is a more specialized tool and is not as commonly available.

 http://www.cbsproducts.com/images/D-1628.jpg

_San Bernardino County [CA] Sun_ 21 Dec 1946 p 17 col 7 [classified ad]
"ROTARY jackhammer, paint spray outfit, acetylene welder, 3/4-ton come-along hoist, gasoline engine."

There is a style of handcuffs/restraint devices called "come alongs":

http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/ericfinds/items/1187097/item1187097cyberattic.html

_Freeport [IL] Journal-Standard_ 22 Apr 1886 p 4 col 4
"Officer Piersol reached the spot as Jake got his man up, and after the come-a-longs were put on his wrists, he was escorted between the two officers to the station, where he passed the night."

I've also seen the term used in reference to a football play.