[Ads-l] Quip: If Cobden were alive ... now he would turn in his grave (1879)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu May 7 08:35:36 UTC 2015

Somewhat related:
"...it would have disturbed him in his grave, to think Glenvarloch should get that land back again," said Sir Mungo"
Walter Scott, The Fortunes of Nigel (1822) p. 335.
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?q1=%22it%20would%20have%20disturbed%20him%20in%20his%20grave%22;id=uiuo.ark%3A%2F13960%2Ft86h56406;view=1up;seq=9;start=1;sz=10;page=search;orient=0

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:58 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Quip: If Cobden were alive ... now he would turn in his grave (1879)

Way back in May 2011 JL initiated a short discussion of phrases like
"spinning in the grave" and "turn in the grave".

The OED includes some citations for phrases that contain the noun "grave"
including "to make a person turn in his grave"

.

[Begin excerpt]

grave, noun

1. d. In various fig. and proverbial expressions. into the grave of hell:
into the lowest depth. secret as the grave: kept as a close secret. to make
a person turn in his grave: said fancifully or hyperbolically of the effect
of something which was abhorrent to the person in his lifetime. . .

[End excerpt]

The OED listed citations that began with the year 1585, and the first
containing "turn in his grave" was the following.

[Begin excerpt]

1888    J. Bryce Amer. Commonw. I. xii. 159   Jefferson might turn in his
grave if he knew of such an attempt to introduce European distinctions of
rank into his democracy.

[End excerpt]

I came across a citation a few years before 1888 while researching a
comical version of the expression.

[ref] 1879, The Honourable Ella: A Tale of Foxshire by The Earl of Desart
(William Ulick O'Connor Cuffe, 4th Earl of Desart), Volume 1 of 3, Quote
Page 173, Hurst and Blackett, London. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

http://books.google.com/books?id=XOcBAAAAQAAJ&q=%22turn+in%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]

"My dear Harry, you don't understand the rudiments of political economy. If
Cobden were alive to hear all the twaddle of the free-traders now he would
turn in his grave--at least, I mean he'd be confoundedly disgusted.

[End excerpt]

Below is a link to the website entry about expressions attributed to Samuel
Goldwyn and Yogi Berra.

If George Washington Were Alive Today He'd Turn Over in His Grave

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/05/02/turn-over/

Garson