[Ads-l] FW: NGram vs. the OED

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 8 04:17:09 UTC 2015

It's only "mostly useless" if you expect the Ngram Corpus to encompass
all of Google Books, which was never the idea. It's supposed to
present a balanced and representative linguistic sample (in the
tradition of general corpora going back to the Brown Corpus of the
'60s, but orders of magnitude larger than any of them).

Selecting a mega-sample like this also means that the dataset used for
the Ngram Corpus can largely avoid lower-quality OCR in the scanning
project, as well as metadata problems like misdating. The greatest
focus has been on ensuring quality in the period from 1800 to 2000.
More info can be found in the culturomics FAQ:

http://www.culturomics.org/Resources/faq

I'm admittedly an Ngram fan, though I recognize the tool's flaws. Here
are relevant pieces I've written for The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/bigger-better-google-ngrams-brace-yourself-for-the-power-of-grammar/263487/
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/googles-ngram-viewer-goes-wild/280601/