[Ads-l] Kayaktivists/kayactivists

Sat May 9 20:16:57 UTC 2015

Kayaktivists (158 raw Google hits) and kayactivists (53) are an example
where -activist is incorporated as a suffix. I don't see any other uses
in the ADS archives.

1. The earliest cite I see, without looking very hard, is 11 March 2009
by Bonnie. Although the blog description says there are occasional
political rants, the meaning here seems to be just kayakers who are active.
http://bit.ly/1P8Ux5W
=====
Finally - just want to put in a plug for the NYC Watertrail Calendar!
This is something that a couple of my favorite local "kayaktivists" have
been working on over the winter; the idea is to help maximize the public
benefit of the NYC watertrail by having a calendar showing all the
various events on or around Watertrail sites, many of which are free,
open to the public, and require NO paddling experience!
=====

2. The first incident where this word seems to be used to mean activist
is in 2011, when three kayakers participated in a maneuver to draw
attention to a political issue. An article dated 06 July 2011 by Jim
Rankin has the story.
http://on.thestar.com/1ANtlhj
=====
Kneen and Coleman were in kayaks at the time of the getaway and were
positioned between the Tahrir, a 25-metre re-purposed day-trip tourist
vessel, and a coast guard boat. Their presence gave the Tahrir – Arabic
for Liberty – a several minute head start.

“Kayaktivists,” some are calling them.
=====

3. The word has come up again, recently, in connection with a protest
against drilling in the Chukchi Sea. An article dated 08 April 2015 by
Sydney Brownstone explains with the word "kayaktivists" as a caption of
a photo by Amanda Lee.
http://bit.ly/1EY63Ju
=====
These kayaktivists are hoping to trap Shell’s rigs in Elliott Bay.
=====

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home