[Ads-l] "a buck" revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 15 12:17:57 UTC 2015

We've had at least one former thread on extended uses of "a buck" in various cases of metaphorical extension, referring to 100.  So someone can weigh a buck seventy (170), someone can be caught driving a buck twenty (120 mph), something can cost a buck fifty ($150, not necessarily $1.50).  Can't recall when the thread was.  But there was a new one on me (and on Mike & Mike this morning) via a radio call of last night's playoff game: the announcer for the Houston Rockets, who drew even with the L.A. Clippers after an improbable fourth-quarter comeback, screaming about the Rockets tying it up at "a buck oh two", i.e. making it 102-102.  Anyone familiar with "a buck oh two" meaning '102 points', or even just "a buck" = '100 points'?

LH