[Ads-l] anachronism watch--or OED lapse?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 25 18:44:08 UTC 2015

Masculine, yes. But not direct address to anybody. The sentence, as
revealed at GB, is descriptive, not imperative.

They "look guys" (i.e., like freaks). No one is saying, "Hey, youse guys!
Take a gander!"

> My sense from the cites is that "good guy", "regular guy", maybe "nice
guy" as predicates (you're/he's/she's a good guy) are earlier as applied to
female referents (qua HDAS "guy" 2b below) than other uses of (sg.) "guy"
are.

That is certainly what the evidence says to me.

Relatively gender-free alternatives in the '20s for anybody giving the
question a thought  would have been "good egg" (but probably not "regular
egg") and "good scout."

Can we attest a comparable "For she's a jolly good fellow"?

JL