[Ads-l] query on -s truncation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 27 19:55:43 UTC 2015

Also "Phoeebs" ("Feebs"?) for Phoebe on Friends, although it didn't extend to Rachel or Monica.  Must be phonological constraints involved.  I've been called "Lars" (/laerz/, not Norwegian-style /lars/), even by family members.

But Wilson, could Jim Fidelholtz's Otto really have been "Ots" at the '74 Institute?  That I don't remember.  My own dog, who also attended that UMass institute, might have been truncated from "Ite" /'i:te:/ to "Eats", but he's not around to confirm or disconfirm this.

LH