[Ads-l] "We must increase our busts!"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun May 31 00:53:18 UTC 2015

In the spirit of cheerleading, wouldn't the first line scan better if it were:
     We must!  We must!  We must increase our busts!

Five iambs better fits the second line:
     We must! We must! The boys depend on us!"

And I can even imagine I heard it that way.  (There was one pretty bold girl, and busty as well, in my junior high school classes.)

Joel
     From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2015 6:08 PM
 Subject: [ADS-L] "We must increase our busts!"

I'd neither heard nor heard of this exercise for girls and what today's
TIME coyly - and, IMO, incorrectly - refers to as "that catchphrase" -
isn't it a *chant*? - in its last-page 10 Questions interview of the great
Judy Blume, before it was discussed some years ago, here on the ADS-L.

The knowledge that there is a literary reference to this chant motivated me
to Google it, leading me to a YouTube of Ms. Blume and another woman
demonstrating the exercise with its accompanying chant.

Now comes the relevance.

According to Ms. Blume, the chant is simply,

"We must! We must increase our busts!"

In my wife's NE PA dialect, the chant is,

"We must! We must increase our busts!
 We must! We must! The boys depend on us!"

Naturally, anymore ;-), she finds that pretty creepy, but, as a
ten-year-old, she thought nothing of it, one way or the other, not even
knowing the meaning of the word, "bust," with any certainty, and with not
the least idea or interest as to why boys would be depending upon the
exercise having a positive outcome.

--
-Wilson
-----