[Ads-l] BOGO (when the second item is not free)

Sun May 31 17:44:51 UTC 2015

Apologies to Barry for not examining the very valuable entry that he
has about BOGO,

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/bogo_or_bogof_buy_one_get_one_free/

A 1992 citation that Barry listed revealed that the meaning
encompassed a second item at half price.

[Begin excerpt]
11 November 1992, Florence (AL) TimesDaily, “Bargain hunters scout
stores for new deals” by Martin Sloane, pg. 1C, col. 2:
If you shop at the Farm Fresh supermarket in Virginia, you probably
know what a “BOGO” sale is.

If you live in Princeton, Ill., you may have shopped in a new grocery
store called BOGO’s. If you are a smart shopper who enjoys a bargain,
then you defnitiely look for BOGOs.

What is BOGO?

The letters literally stand for “buy one, get one.” What do you get?
Well, in many cases if you buy one product, you get a second for free.
Other times the second product is available at half price.
[End excerpt]

Garson