[Ads-l] New to me: _Anglicism_ vs. _Englishism_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 12 19:17:34 UTC 2015

The former gets about 145,000 hits v. 16,700 for the latter.

Apparently the relevant distinction being made is that between an English
word/phrase borrowed by a non-English language, e.g. _reprint, sale, [un]
Halloween [de libro], flash_, etc. and an English English word/phrase
borrowed into American English, e.g. _go missing, on holiday, at the
shore_.

I'm doing my bit to help the process along by using _anyroad_ and _right up
your street_ as much as possible.

--
-Wilson
-----