[Ads-l] Slashdotted Farked Instalanched Reditted Ycombinatored

Mon Oct 12 19:31:46 UTC 2015

Thanks to Bill for mentioning that a popular blog linked to a page on
my website recently. Bill's use of the term "instalanche" reminded me
of similar terms (which are listed on the subject line).

A website is "slashdotted" when it receives a spike in traffic after
it has been linked by the website Slashdot.org. Sometimes the term
suggests that the website has crashed or lost its internet connection
because of the surge in traffic.

Maybe someone on the list has already examined these terms and found
early instances.

When I was using very inexpensive hosting my website was sometimes
rendered inaccessible by too much traffic. The elevated traffic was
usually coming from Reddit. A reddittor would sometimes create a
mirror webpage or a mirror graphic snapshot and traffic would be
diverted to the mirror.

Garson