[Ads-l] Antedating mullet (hairstyle)

Thu Oct 15 13:30:26 UTC 2015

Thanks to Ben for posting a link to the OUP podcast about antedating
"mullet" (hairstyle).

The OED has an entry for "mullet-head", noun. The first sense is "A
stupid person" and the first citation is dated 1855.

The OED also has an entry for "mullet-headed", adjective. The first
sense is "Stupid, silly" and the first citation is dated 1853.

These expressions were still in use in the 1970s and 1980s. Hence,
some ambiguity is inescapable when searching for early instances of
mullet (the hairstyle). The description "mullet-headed" might be used
to label a person as dumb or to describe his hairstyle. The OED does
suggest that the pre-existing term "mullet-head" might be the
etymological source of the hairstyle sense for "mullet".

Below is a link to an Imgur image that seems to show a page from a
1991 magazine with the phrase: "Three years ago, Craig Parker was a
mullet-haired teenager who wanted to build a car that could rival the
best. . ."

http://imgur.com/gallery/1uV57qo

I think this is the image that was discussed in the podcast.
Apparently, researchers have been unable to verify the magazine image
on paper. The podcast does not mention the reaction of the person who
posted the image to the doubts about its provenance.

Here is a link to a Reddit discussion from 7 months ago. (TIL means
"Today I Learned"):

Short link: http://bit.ly/1Pv5EEO

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/2xe7wi/when_was_the_first_time_you_heard_the_term_mullet/

[Begin excerpt]
That TIL is full of shit and a perfect example of groupthink. It took
me under an hour of browsing through my Street Machine collection to
find this reference to a mullet as a hairstyle from 1991.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1uV57qo
[End excerpt]