[Ads-l] "Tomboy" to be replaced by ...

Fri Oct 16 05:32:43 UTC 2015

The entire sentence is:

=====
These days, at least in liberal enclaves, a girl who likes baseball or wants her hair cut short is more likely to be called “gender-nonconformist” or “gender-expansive,” with any suggestion that she’ll grow out of such behaviors suspect as evidence of condemning rather than honoring them.
=====

Both terms are adjectival, I think; otherwise, an article would be required. You can’t say in the same sense “… likely to be called ‘linguist.’”

Also, the article has a nice example of reference. I’m not sure what to call it, but the genitive “boys’” is referred to by “them" as a non-gentive.

=====
“But I wanted to wear boys’ clothes and make out with them, too.”
=====

BB