[Ads-l] Antedating of "Martian" (Noun)

Sat Oct 17 23:20:45 UTC 2015

Welcome to Peter Reitan. Congratulation on your great work on "whole
nine yards"; thanks for sharing it, and thanks to Fred for pointing to
Peter's 1877 citation for the noun Martian.

With the movie "The Martian" currently in theaters this is a fun topic.

Below is the pertinent OED definition for "Martian". Also, below is a
new citation in January 1870 for the noun "Martians" which includes a
clever proposal to communicate with the hypothetical beings. The
passage includes a bonus instance of "Jovians" which antedates the
1929 citation in the OED for "Jovian" (imagined inhabitant).

[Begin OED excerpt]
Martian
B. noun 1. a. Science Fiction. An (imagined) inhabitant of Mars.

1883 W. S. Lach-Szyrma Aleriel III. iii. 109 He..brought with him
another Martian, differently attired.
[End OED excerpt]

[Begin OED excerpt]
Draft additions 1997
An (imagined) inhabitant of the planet Jupiter.

1929   S. Leslie Anglo-Catholic xv. 209   Mary and Julius emerged with
the supreme British condescension of Jovians or Neptunians visiting a
minor planet.
[End OED excerpt]