[Ads-l] "shut up talking"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 21 17:00:44 UTC 2015

"Arguably," perhaps, but the given exx. all refer to the people doing the
talking and not to the talking itself.

I agree that "some sort of appositive" is involved in Gowdy's case.  We
don't know whether even he would regard the construction as perfectly
grammatical, or as a nonce blend elicited by the strain of facing
lamestream journalists.

JL