[Ads-l] clink = chink

Sun Oct 25 08:45:27 UTC 2015

The phrase "clink in his armor" appeared in 1953 in an Oregon
newspaper. The word "chink" might start to look like "clink" in a
degraded newsprint image; however, for this citation the word "clink"
is clear, and the letter spacing around "l" supports the belief that
the original word was "clink". (I only looked in the Newspapers.com
database.)

Date: April 17, 1953
Newspaper: The News-Review
Newspaper Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Article: In The Day's News
Article Author: Frank Jenkins
Start Page 1, Quote Page 4, Column 4

[Begin excerpt]
It would be interesting to speculate as to how that particular
Spaniard came to lose his headpiece three centuries and more ago. Did
some Indian conk him despite the protection of his iron pot? Or maybe
plunk him with an arrow whose point found some clink in his armor? Or
did he just weary of the weight and the heat of the thing and chuck it
off to one side and say the heck with it?
[End excerpt]

Garson