[Ads-l] 'gig' = (non-show-business) engagement, 1952

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 25 20:03:00 UTC 2015

>From my "gig" files, another 1952 example of extended use:

---
Baltimore Afro-American, Apr. 19, 1952, (Afro Magazine Section) p. 9, col. 2
"Mainstream" by Ralph Matthews, Jr.
I have jotted down some other phrases currently in use among
Baltimore's "hip" set (you aren't "hip" if you say hep) for students
of the American language. ...
A girl is no longer a "broad" but "Bone." You don't wear clothes, you
wear "fronts." A steady job is a "gig" or "hame," when you buy
something you "cop" and if you don't have money you're "lootless" or
"on the shorts."
---

And here's a playful extension from Lionel Hampton:

---
Pittsburgh Courier, Mar. 6, 1954, p. 19, col. 1
"Show Biz Buzzes" by Lionel Hampton
Just one year ago this column made its first "gig," and it sure did
knock me out to see it in actual print.
---