[Ads-l] "stag films" antedated (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 26 21:55:21 UTC 2015

My impression is that for much of society a 19th C. "stag party" was just a
gathering of men to drink, play cards, and talk about sports and other
manly activities.  (Contrast "hen party," and cf. "stag dance" and "stag
line.")

A film "suitable for stag parties and saloon work" in 1910 *might* not
suggest anything more salacious than an outdoor melodrama or crime saga of
the sort that would not be likely to appeal to women.

For example, "The Great Train Robbery" (1903) may have been considered a
"stag film."

Of course, so would any, ahem, putative porn flick of the era.  Ingenuity
being what it is, I suppose they could have existed.

JL