[Ads-l] X snob shift

Mon Oct 26 21:56:47 UTC 2015

> Il giorno 26 ott 2015, alle ore 14:51, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: X snob shift
>
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 2:52 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
>> X snob shift
>

> It's too bad for me that others no longer see any utility in the hyphen.

I’m sorry you had trouble parsing the title.

If I used hyphens everywhere they are conventionally required, I would go crazy. I frequently have to write long noun strings, and putting three of them together with hyphens followed by two with a hyphen just gets ridiculous. Where needed for clarity, I have no problem with putting them in. BB