[Ads-l] Interesting early use of 'jazz' far away from music

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Oct 30 19:32:17 UTC 2015

I subscribe to an aviation trade journal (Aviation Week) which is having a feature on 100 years of 'airline technology'. Here's a quote from an article:

On a bright New Year's Day morning in 1914, an enthusiastic crowd that had gathered at the yacht basin in St. Petersburg, Florida, cheered with delight as a fragile-looking Benoist XIV floatplane left the water and pointed its blunt nose in the direction of nearby Tampa. Squeezed into the tiny cockpit were pioneer aviator Tony Jannus and Abe Pheil, a former St. Petersburg mayor who had bid $400 to become the first fare-paying passenger on the world's first scheduled, fixed-wing airline flight. Percival Fansler, the local businessman behind the St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line recalled:

"[T]he idea popped into my head that instead of monkeying around with [the Benoist XIV] to give 'jazz' trips, I would start a real commercial line from somewhere to somewhere else. My experience in Florida led me to conclude that a line could be operated between St. Petersburg and Tampa."

Here's a link to the AWST article, although it might be pay-walled:

http://bit.ly/1HhjCmJ

[http://aviationweek.com/site-files/aviationweek.com/files/uploads/2015/10/wings-intropromo.jpg]<http://bit.ly/1HhjCmJ>

100 Years Of Commercial Airline Technology<http://bit.ly/1HhjCmJ>
bit.ly
The rise of the airliner from humble origins to pivotal economic engine.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.