[Ads-l] a couple of quotations: sources needed

Thu Sep 3 20:44:20 UTC 2015

Garson's quotation crediting Margaret Irwin with a variant of the
Bloomsbury tag is from the New Statesman and Nation, March 29, 1941, p.
317, the 3rd paragraph under the headline A London Diary.
A pdf attached -- with luck it will be allowed through.  [no luck: i've
sent it directly to Garson, and will sent it to any one else, upon request]

I note that the writer attributes the quotation when I hear of culture I
reach for my revolver to Goering.  I recall, from decades ago, that it has
been attributed to a Spanish Fascist general, during the Spanish Civil
War.  I no doubt saw this in Hugh Thomas' book.

GAT