[Ads-l] Bogus Lincoln quote? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Sep 4 22:26:30 UTC 2015

Below are two citations in the 1870s that provide evidence that the
saying attributed to Lincoln evolved from the comical testimonial from
"O. Abe" constructed by Artemus Ward.

[ref] 1874 July 17, Cincinnati Daily Gazette, An Old Story Retold,
(Acknowledgement to Boston Correspondence in New York Tribune), Quote
Page 2, Column 5, Cincinnati, Ohio. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
An Old Story Retold.
>From Boston Correspondence N. Y. Tribune.

I suppose everyone remembers Artermus Ward's story about reading one
of his lectures to President Lincoln, and asking the President's
opinion of it. According to the showman's version of the interview,
the Chief Magistrate answered, with grave deliberation: "For those
that like that kind of a lecture I suppose it is just the kind of
lecture that such people would like."
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1879 March 27, New York Tribune, (Untitled filler item), Quote
Page 2, Column 3, New York, New York. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
President Lincoln once listened patiently while a friend read a long
manuscript to him, and then asked: "What do you think of it? How will
it take?" The President reflected a little while, and then answered:
"Well, for people who like that kind of thing, I think that is just
about the kind of thing they'd like."
[End excerpt]

Garson