[Ads-l] An illustration of the "new syntax"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 5 20:37:14 UTC 2015

This is the way that I learned it, 65 years ago: _the number_ is singular,
whereas _a number_ is plural. However, in the example cited, _the number_
is the subject of both parts of the complex - or whatever term is currently
used - sentence:

the number of predators do

vs.

the number of prey does

Of course, back in the day, _the number of prey_ would have been
ungrammatical, in any case, since _prey_ wasn't a count-noun, then.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: An illustration of the "new syntax"

> This is a complex word. =
> http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/singular_plural_number.htm =
> <http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/singular_plural_number.htm> =
> provides some examples.
>
> I personally get confused about =E2=80=9Cplurality=E2=80=9D (as in
> =E2=80=9C=
> a plurality of elements=E2=80=9D) because I usually see it in the =
> predicate, and on the rare occasion where I have to use it as the =
> subject, I have trouble figuring out whether it=E2=80=99s singular or =
> plural.
>
> Benjamin Barrett
> Formerly of Seattle, WA
>
> Learn Ainu! =
> http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/singular_plural_number.htm
>

> > On 5 Sep 2015, at 10:47, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > The number of the nominal nearest to the left of the verb governs the
> > number of the verb.
> >=20
> > =46rom an NYT MyAlert:
> >=20
> > "The number of
> > _predators do_
> > not increase as rapidly as the number of
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > _prey does_."
> >=20
> > The number of the subject no longer matters. Things ain't what they =
> used to
> > be.

-Wilson
-----