[Ads-l] on the WOTY watch--"unicorn" and "unicorn poaching"

Sun Sep 6 05:30:45 UTC 2015

A recent Vanity Fair article credited Aileen Lee with coining
"unicorn" (in the billion-dollar venture-capital sense), and this
comports with the earliest citation given in Ben's Wall Street Journal
article. Below is an excerpt with another neologism employing the
"uni" prefix: "unicorpse".

Website: Vanity Fair
Timestamp: September 1, 2015 5:30 am
Article: Is Silicon Valley in Another Bubble . . . and What Could Burst It?
Author: Nick Bilton

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/08/is-silicon-valley-in-another-bubble

[Begin excerpt]
"We basically doubled the number of unicorns in the past year and a
half," says Aileen Lee, the founder of Cowboy Ventures, who has
herself become a mythic creature in the Valley after coining the term.
"But a lot of these are paper unicorns, so their valuations may not be
real for a while." Others, Lee acknowledged, may never see their
balance sheets add enough zeros to justify the title. They will be
given a new sobriquet: "unicorpse."
[End excerpt]

Garson