[Ads-l] Antedating of "Teriyaki"

Mon Sep 7 02:14:16 UTC 2015

The earliest I see on Google Books is 1892 with a meaning I do not see on the Japanese or English Wikipedia (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%85%A7%E3%82%8A%E7%84%BC%E3%81%8D <https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%85%A7%E3%82%8A%E7%84%BC%E3%81%8D>, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teriyaki <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teriyaki>). Coming from two authors, this meaning might be what we call umeboshi, though it’s not clear.

The earliest citations I see for the broiled/grilled version that we know today is 1901 (Google-dated) and 1905 (date appears valid).

1. 1892
The Japs at Home
Douglas Brooke Wheelton Sladen
http://bit.ly/1EJHPqe <http://bit.ly/1EJHPqe> (date confirmation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Sladen)

=====
It was served with teriyaki (preserved plums) and sweet potatoes syruped, and was followed by hachizakana, fish in a bowl.
=====

2. 1895
A Japanese Marriage
Douglas Brooke Wheelton Sladen (same as 1)
http://bit.ly/1O7mzwl <http://bit.ly/1O7mzwl> (date confirmation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Sladen <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Sladen>)

Note the spelling of shioyaki, which reflects the orthography before the post-WWII reform.

=====
‘You must add to these _shiwoyaki_—fish baked with salt ; _teriyaki_—plums preserved with salt ; sweet potatoes syrupped, and _hachizakana_—fish in a bowl,’ said Mary.
=====

3. 1901
Mousmé: a story of the West and East
Clive Holland
http://bit.ly/1XzBLGB <http://bit.ly/1XzBLGB> (date confirmation: http://bit.ly/1K0onFQ <http://bit.ly/1K0onFQ>)

=====
Palmer’s biscuits and the _teriyaki_ which Oka, remembering Mousmé’s love for plums in sugar coats, had thoughtfully provided!
=====

4. 1901 (not confirmed)
Collier's, Volume 28
http://bit.ly/1Opb0i4 <http://bit.ly/1Opb0i4> (Google search page with snippet: http://bit.ly/1ELwOV5 <http://bit.ly/1ELwOV5>)

=====
Teriyaki — Broiled lish with Japanese sauce made of mushrooms chiefly and served with crisp cakes.
=====

5. 1902
My Japanese Wife: A Japanese Idyl
Clive Holland
http://bit.ly/1O7l8hy <http://bit.ly/1O7l8hy> (date confirmation: http://amzn.to/1FrUskg <http://amzn.to/1FrUskg>)

=====
...and a great linking for _teriyaki_ (plums in sugar coats).

and that for the time the native _teriyaki_ and such-like sugar-coated joys would be nowhere.
=====

6. 1905
Japanese Conversation-grammar: With Numerous Reading Lessons and Dialogues
Hermann Plaut
http://bit.ly/1PVEl4c <http://bit.ly/1PVEl4c> (date confirmation, appears valid: http://bit.ly/1NWT6pF <http://bit.ly/1NWT6pF>)

=====
_teriyaki_ meat or fish baked with _shōyu_
=====

7. 1906
The Greedy Book: A Gastronomical Anthology
Frank Schloesser
http://bit.ly/1JZZJ3C <http://bit.ly/1JZZJ3C> (date confirmation though not definitive: http://bit.ly/1M4wXpa <http://bit.ly/1M4wXpa>)

If this date is correct, this might be a good source for other Japanese foods. Other words I see here are “ohira”, “sashimi” and “nizakana”.

=====
Teriyaki. (Roast Fish.)
=====

Benjamin Barrett