[Ads-l] Three usage questions

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Sep 13 12:10:59 UTC 2015

1) The same group leader reportedly used it to describe an earlier find.
"[Prof. Lee] Berger, leader of National Geographic's Rising Star Expedition, tapped six women he has called "underground astronauts" to recover remains from a cavern 30 meters underground at the Cradle of Humankind, a World Heritage Site in northeastern South Africa. The cradle is the site of some of the oldest hominin (human relatives closer on the family tree than gorillas or chimpanzees) discoveries ever, reaching back more than 3 million years."

This, from a U. of Wisconsin-Madison news release, Dec. 6 2013, via Targeted News Service via ProQuest Central.

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Susan G Yerkes <susanyerkes at UTEXAS.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2015 12:33 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Three usage questions

Love this list-serve and have three questions:

1) A story in Friday's NTY on the "Homo Naledi" discovery

(
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/science/south-africa-fossils-new-species-human-ancestor-homo-naledi.html?action=click&contentCollection=Fashion%20%26%20Style&module=MostPopularFB&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article
)

states that six "slender" women were chosen as the team to slither into the
cave where the bones were found, and that the team members were  referred
to as "underground astronauts."
Does anybody know if this is a new usage?

2) A Sept. 9 NYT story on Donald Trump caps  referred to what I always
thought of "ball caps," "gimme caps" or trucker caps as "classic rope hats."

/
www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/fashion/trumps-campaign-hat-becomes-an-ironic-summer-accessory.html?/_r=0i

Where can I find an expanded explanation of the names for various versions
of the billed cap?

3) The same NYT story ends with the conjecture that:
  This season’s Trump trucker hat will soon go the way of ‘on fleek.’ ”

What is "on fleek" and where did it come from (and where, or which way, did
it "go"?)

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Susan Yerkes
San Antonio, TX
(Not a member of ADS, but an enthusiastic fan of your discussions)