[Ads-l] "Desnuda"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 14 03:03:56 UTC 2015

> On Sep 13, 2015, at 10:34 PM, Bonnie Taylor-Blake <b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how much staying power "desnuda" has in American English,
> but it's recently seen a lot of exposure through its application to
> those naked, painted ladies in the heart of New York City.
>
> Perhaps my Twitter feed is just having a summer fling with the word,
> but I thought I'd at least make note of "desnuda" before it vanishes
> with the chill of autumn.
>
> -- Bonnie

I've been hoping that when the thermometer drops, the painted ladies of Times Square (not to be confused with the eponymous houses in San Francisco) might don those cozy shawl/hoods of the sort pictured at http://tinyurl.com/q6gclck (while still relying on paint alone to keep their more southerly exposures warm) and thereby come to be known as "desnoodas".  Remember, you can't pronounce "desnuda" without "snood".

LH