[Ads-l] Help reading a 1721 Boston newspaper

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 14 05:27:58 UTC 2015

Douglass asked:

"Why not "bombast" [adjective]?"

Yes, I somehow overlooked the OED's "bombast, adj." until after I'd sent my question.  Surrounding 1721 the OED2 has quotations from 1674 and 1781, so perhaps it would be a useful interdating.  But my main interest is in deciding between it and "bombard", which would be more interesting to the OED.

I've never ... well, hardly ever ... been able to distinguish "adjective" from "attributive noun", and I won't try here.

Joel

      From: Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at NB.NET>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:58 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Help reading a 1721 Boston newspaper

--

Me, I can't actually see the text in question.

Why not "bombast" [adjective]?

(I guess this adjective is no longer usual. To check whether it was used
in the period in question, one can search for (e.g.) <<"the most
bombast">>, incidentally at the same time maybe somewhat distinguishing
"adjective" from "attributive noun".)

Incidentally, I see the sentence in question mentioned in Perry Miller's
"The New England Mind" (Google Books: search for (e.g.) <<bombast "loose
wild" "perry miller">>).

-- Doug Wilson