[Ads-l] It were

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 24 18:26:49 UTC 2015

I have heard similar constructions many times in recent years, though none
quite so blatant.

Ex.: "Lunch were hamburgers and fries."

It comes, I dare suggest, from a pre-conscious feeling that the verb should
agree with a vivid predicate rather than with a less vivid grammatical
subject.

If I ever came across the construction in a freshman theme between 1976 and
1990, or a non-freshman theme after that, it must have been awfully rare.
It seemed quite unfamiliar to me when I began to notice it. (Ca. 2005-2010?)

JL