[Ads-l] "be absolved of" = "be confirmed or proved of"

Theresa Fisher fisher.theresa at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 25 18:03:38 UTC 2015

Hi -

I'm a journalist (I've reached out before. I write about sleep, mostly).
I'm wondering about the origin of the phrase "sleep with" being used as a
euphemism for sex. If anyone has insight, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "be absolved of" = "be confirmed or proved of"

> As the news media begin to present Kane in a more favorable light, they
> are=
>  paraphrasing his utterance so that he no longer appears to be convicting
> h=
> imself.=C2=A0 For example, in the NY Times -- "Kane has not been charged
> in=
>  the case, and he told reporters last week that he had 'done nothing
> wrong'=
>  and that he expected to be exonerated."
>
> However, at almost the same moment I was reading this, a TV news program
> pl=
> ayed a video of his statement, and he clearly said "absolved of having
> done=
>  nothing wrong."
>
> Joel

Theresa Fisher