[Ads-l] wench

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Fri Apr 1 05:14:00 UTC 2016

Perhaps archaic, but "wench" was still in recognition (and close enough to
use) vocabulary for my high school-educated mother (circa 1958) to make an
instant response to my younger brother's description of a tool purchase by
my father:  "Mommy, Daddy bwought home a big wench."  "He better not have."
Dave Hause
-----Original Message-----
From: James A. Landau
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:09 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: wench

Something that appears to have overlooked in this thread:  in the 17th
century both Africans and Native Americans were used as household servants.
The blacks were usually slaves (slavery was practiced in all 13 Colonies
until circa 1780).  I do not know if Native Americans could also be slaves
(can anyone enlighten me?)

If in the 17th and 18th centuries in the Colonies the term "wench" generally
meant "slave woman", it would still frequently be necessary to specify if a
particular wench were African, Native American, or mixed-race.

Off-topic: "wench", long archaic, is enjoying a micro-revival in George R.
R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series, set in a universe quite similar
to our Middle Ages, in which "Wench" is Jaime Lannister's disparaging term
of address to Brienne of Tarth.

- Jim Landau

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.