[Ads-l] TV dialogue: _guy-trim_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 3 22:06:33 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> I'm assuming that the guy-trim in question is intended in sense #5.

Quite so.

My history with this word is, IMO, a little odd. The only time and place
that I've heard this term used in the wild is among black, adolescent males
in Marshall, Texas, in the '40's. Yet, I've heard it used in TV dialogue
and on TV reality shows sufficiently often - and as a cover-term, at that -
for me to be fully persuaded that the use of the word is probably as
widespread as the use of _pussy_ in the non-feline sense. Somehow, I've not
come across_trim_ outside of my childhood experience purely by chance.

I've had the same with _dookie_, cited from 1969 in HDAS, still the only
place that I've seen the word in print.

Youneverknow.

_Dookie boots_ gets about 257 results in Google, but none in the UD.

FWIW, for me, _trim_ in the relevant meaning is only abstract. Hence, def.4
above doesn't work for me.
--
-Wilson
-----