[Ads-l] Language and children; flee/flea.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 3 22:34:39 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu>
wrote:

> Hollywood be thy name.

I've come across

Harper's Magazine: (1904) - Volume 109 - Page 817
https://books.google.com/books?id=flsCAAAAIAAJ
1904 - ‎Read - ‎More editions
"Mamma, I 'm not sure that I say that prayer just right. Is it _Howard_ be
Thy name, or _Harold_ be Thy name?"

and

Readings on English as a second language: for teachers and...
https://books.google.com/books?id=gk_uPRMZSS8C
Kenneth Croft - 1972 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
Upon being somewhat violently admonished to behave, one of them answered in
an aggrieved voice: "But Dad, I am _being have_." Another replied to a
warning about diving into shallow water with a memorable: "Yeah, I know.
Many a _people have cracken_ their head on the bottom of the pool."

in print from ca. 1945-65 in Reader's Digest/Saturday Evening Post/Coronet
aut sim.
--
-Wilson
-----