[Ads-l] A clock that stands still is sure to point right once in twelve hours

Tue Apr 5 13:47:11 UTC 2016

Peter Morris wrote:
> Here's what Lewis Carroll said on the subject.
> I've been unable to find a publication date for the piece.
>
> http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/112/poems-puzzles-and-stories-of-lewis-carroll/4953/the-two-clocks/

Thanks for sharing an interesting work by Lewis Carroll, Peter.

According to "Lewis Carroll's Games and Puzzles" (1992) the clock
puzzle was placed into one of the "family magazines" created by Lewis
and family members around 1850.

The GB database shows that it was published to a wide audience in
December 1898 in "The Strand Magazine".

[ref] 1992, Lewis Carroll's Games and Puzzles by Lewis Carroll,
Compiles and Edited by Edward Wakeling, Chapter 18, Two Clocks, Quote
Page 23, Dover Publications, New York in association with the Lewis
Carroll Birthplace Trust, Daresbury, Cheshire, England. (Google Books
Preview)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
When he was young, Lewis Carroll helped his brothers and sisters write
a number of family magazines. In one called The Rectory Umbrella,
dated around 1850, he included a puzzle titled "Difficulties, Number
2."

Which is best, a clock that is right only once a year, or a clock that
is right twice every day?

Make up your mind before reading on.
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1898 December, The Strand Magazine, Volume 16, Number 96, Before
"Alice" -- The Boyhood of Lewis Carroll by Stuart Collingwood, "No.
2.", Start Page 620, Quote Page 620, George Newnes Ltd., Strand,
London. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=busvAAAAMAAJ&q=%22right+twice%22#v=snippet&

Garson