[Ads-l] Antedating of G-string

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 6 13:53:05 UTC 2016

 Wilson, that's a highly launderized version of a _sub-rosa_
nineteenth-century song - which elaborately rewrites one from the
eighteenth.

The folksong collector James Carpenter recorded a version in the 1920s from
an English sailor who'd learned it in the '80s.

George's discovery has inspired me to pick up where I left off on an
article on the subject. Don't, however, hold your breath.

Thanks, George!

JL

JL