[Ads-l] Squirrels in genealogical research

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Thu Apr 7 03:15:56 UTC 2016

This looks to me like an analogy with the ADHD distractibility memes, such
as at
https://www.google.com/search?q=oh+look+a+squirrel+meme&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Dave Hause

-----Original Message-----
From: George Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:08 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Squirrels in genealogical research

"A squirrel![1]
<http://vita-brevis.org/2016/03/chasing-a-squirrel/?utm_source=twgnewsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=twg786#_ftn1>
find a lot of them while researching and I am sure all other researchers
find them, too: those pieces of information that have nothing to do with
what you are researching. You come across them by accident and they pull
your attention away from what you are trying to find because they are
equally or sometimes more interesting.  Sometimes it is a quick tangent –
and sometimes squirrels can lead to an entirely new path of research that
sticks with you for a long time.
"[1]
<http://vita-brevis.org/2016/03/chasing-a-squirrel/?utm_source=twgnewsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=twg786#_ftnref1>
See
the Disney/Pixar film *Up* (2009)."

Meaghan E.H. Siekman, writing in Vita Brevis, a blog of the New England
Historic Genealogical Society, entry of March 28, 2016
<http://vita-brevis.org/2016/03/chasing-a-squirrel/>

I have not seen the Disney/Pixar film *Up* (2009), and so the allusion is
lost upon me.  The word -- not the animal -- is new to me.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.