[Ads-l] Rage, zen (adjective)

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 7 18:35:35 UTC 2016

I see there is now “rage yoga” where you curse while doing yoga and listening to heavy metal music. I haven’t tried to antedate or look into the origins at all. See http://rageyoga.com/class-faq/ <http://rageyoga.com/class-faq/> (includes a popup e-mail signup window).

I assume this comes from “road rage” which comes from “road” + “rage”.

My understanding is that cussing involves a part of the brain different from non-cussing verbalizations. Lloyd’s of London may very well start taking bets that there will be a rash of rage developments. Rage reading, rage-driving (verb incorporation), rage dancing, rage drinking (hopefully not), rage swimming? The sky is perhaps the limit.

Zen - adjective, not in the Oxford Dictionary site

"with the goal of attaining good health and to become zen as f*ck” (http://rageyoga.com <http://rageyoga.com/>)
Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zen#Adjective <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zen#Adjective>) defines the adjective “zen" as: enlightened, unburdened and free of worries; chill, extremely relaxed and collected

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA