[Ads-l] “bow-wow”, adj. = “high sounding, grandil =?Windows-1252?Q?oquent=94=3F=2C_?=1826

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Apr 9 21:36:32 UTC 2016

In what way is a dog's bark "high sounding, grandiloquent"? Could it
somehow be connected with the excitement of dogs barking during a
fox hunt (an activity for the nobles)? And does "the cat's meow" fit into
this picture in any way?
G. Cohen
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]
 on behalf of Joel Berson [berson at ATT.NET]
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2016 3:54 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: “bow-wow”, adj. = “high sounding, grandiloquent”?, 1826

That young lady [Jane Austen] had a talent for describing the
involvements, and feelings, and characters of ordinary life,
which is to me the most wonderful I ever met with. The
Big Bow-wow strain I can do myself like any now going;
but the exquisite touch, which renders ordinary commonplace
things and characters interesting, from the truth of the description
and the sentiment, is denied to me.
bow-wow, adj. high sounding, grandiloquent, not in OED3 For the
definition, derived from the Scott quotation, see Richard Chenevix
Trench, On some deficiencies in our English dictionaries (1860),
p. 18. Entry dated 1826 March 14. Walter Scott. Memoirs of the Life
of Sir Walter Scott, Bart. Volume the Sixth. Edinburgh: Robert Cadell;
London: John Murray and Whittaker; 1837. Page 264. Google Books,
full view.

Joel