[Ads-l] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 13 18:56:18 UTC 2016

Yes, a significant discovery.  When I was researching "cliffhanger" for a possible story, I did not find any scenes where there was a hero/heroine literally left hanging on a cliff.  There are plenty of earlier instances of leaving the reader in figurative suspense, but I found none of leaving the character in literal suspense.

Did I mention at the time the peril -- but not cliffhanging -- in a news story in the 1736 New-York Gazette, published in two parts?  The first installment ends “The Capt.Dying------ [The Remainder of this Melancholy Relation willbe continued, in our Next]” (brackets inoriginal).
Joel
      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:21 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Other than the misleadingly ambiguous "is attributed to...Hardy's...novel,"
this is a significant discovery.

The scene (oops! I must mean "meme"!) presumably impressed the story's
readers, and may frequently have been alluded to.

The actual word "cliffhanger," however, still looks and sounds like a 20th
C. journalistic creation - by someone who may never have heard of _A Pair
of Blue Eyes_.

JL