[Ads-l] _pilot_ "test"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 14 13:14:09 UTC 2016

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 1:45 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Facebook's Terragraph project aims to replace fiber with fast, low-cost
> Wi-Fi
> The company will _pilot_ its program in San Jose later this year.
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_VUguFj&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=9J7Zs-z8uImYVp0Hejt_VmHdoGv8gxUpB6BlghDA97I&s=X7AdqPKxyoDq3Ni0dHiiweCXeln8oAPao_pcb4jFICU&e=
> --
> -Wilson

pilot = 'test, test out' seems pretty standard to me, as when the show runner pilots a new program or an experimenter pilots a study.  Here's OED, v. 4:

 4. trans. To test (a scheme, project, etc.) on a small scale before introducing it more widely; to conduct preliminary trials of; to try out.

1960   Sunday Times 10 Jan. 14/6   Practically all these devices for saving time and labour have been piloted in the fifties.
1977   Jrnl. Royal Soc. Arts 125 308/2   Not only does he [sc. the skilled question designer] pilot his questionnaire, but periodically he tests his questions to find out how they are actually understood.
1999   Courier-Mail (Brisbane) 20 May 24/6   The [television] show was piloted recently and has been given the green light.

LH