[Ads-l] Straphanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 14 16:59:00 UTC 2016

I doubt Wichita had a subway in 1892. The use of the word "car" leads me to
think the quote refers to a train, not a "subway or bus". Perhaps the OED
definition needs to be widened?

Also, this is a 'literal' use -- referring to standing passengers hanging
onto straps -- and not a general use for all passengers, standing or
otherwise. I wonder when some (the standees, who should be standers?? -- we
don't call those sitting sittees, do we?) became representative of all.

DanG